Thursday, March 20, 2008

Penang, Malaysia

Penang
Eastern Time plus 11 hours

Penang is one of thirteen Malaysian Islands. The approach was beautiful and we tendered in to shore.

We had cancelled our shore tour for the day and thought we would just go into town on our own. I wanted to take a taxi tour, but Jeff wasn't going for it, so we set off walking to see a temple on the map. It was Hot! We asked the shuttle driver for directions and kept walking the direction we thought he told us to go. At least we got to see a little of the life on the street. I finally asked a boy for directions, but he didn't know where the street we were looking for was. He ended finding us later to make sure we found someone to help us. The people in the city were really very nice and helpful. Anyway, we finally gave up and doubled back to the mall where the shuttle dropped us off. Jeff was not a good shopper… can you believe it??? J Anyway, he went back to the ship and I stayed to bum around in the mall.

I noticed an area with Chinese people working on their crafts. There was a sugar blower. He stirred this candy in a pot and just pinched it and started blowing. This little girl was watching him very carefully.There was also a candy maker that made shapes of dragons etc and they were sort of what we would call a sucker I guess. A paper cutting woman There also a palm painter. He made these huge pictures and it had lots of symbolism in the pictures for fortunes, family harmony, peace between husband and wife, etc. He painted most of it with the palm of his hand. They spent a lot of time explaining things to me. There was also a man doing stone carving. I did make some purchases there. It involved running back and forth to the money changer to get Malaysian Ringgits. (Five trips in all!)

Next stop was for a massage in the mall. It was different from any massage I ever received. Now, if you happen to read something else about the massage somewhere else on the internet, remember that when friends are telling stories at 2 AM in the Commodore Club and Hemisphere Disco, things may get a little carried away. Yes, it was a very funny story, but I will wait to tell you in person. Don't believe everything you hear from my good friend! J How do I get myself into this stuff?

Jeff had a good time on the ship and I had a good time on shore. I just relaxed and looked at stuff in the mall and then had lunch at Mc Donald's!!!!!! (needed more ringgits)

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I love reading your blog. Sandra, our mutual friend from Brisbane, QLD, told me about it when you first started your cruise and I have been following it since.

It is particularly relevant now as we are about to leave for Hong Kong (in less than 2 weeks) and we are doing a cruise from H.K. to Athens which does stop at quite a few of the ports you have visited. eg. Da Nang, Saigon, Bangkok, Koh Samui, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Mangalore, Goa, Mumbai (we are leaving the ship for 3 days to visit Agra and the Taj Mahal). Then on to Salalah in Oman, Safaga in Egypt, Aqaba in Jordan, through the Suez Canal and finally Port Said before arriving in Athens.

It is great to see your photos as well.

Jennie