Monday, February 25, 2008

Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane, Australia
Eastern Time plus 15 hours

We arrived in Brisbane at 7:30 PM. It was great to see Sandra again. Peter is sadly missed. We went to her home and took the opportunity to walk around the area along the river for an hour or more. It was lucky that we did because the next day the weather was rainy. She lives on the Brisbane River and has a beautiful view of the city and a neat marina area adjoining her building. That was where Peter kept his boat. We had just planned to go out and see her grounds before the pool etc was locked at 10, so I didn't think to take my camera. I missed the opportunity to take a lot of pictures of some great boats and a wonderful view.

I bought this tile for Sandra while I was in Door County, Wisconsin with some friends this fall. I saw it and I reminded me of Sandra. She is great at keeping in touch with all of her friends around the world. I wish I would have bought one for myself!

We had a great night's sleep and got up to a yummy breakfast of Yogurt and Fresh Fruit parfaits and Hot Crossed Buns!

Here is the view from the balcony and one of her dining area.

We set off for the Lone Tree Sanctuary.
We are sort of halfway between New York and Rome. Note the distances!
The Koalas were really very active! Jeff wouldn't hold it, but I felt it was a must do in Australia!

Next stop was the kangaroos! This was really very thrilling to me. They all took off at one point and it was really something exciting to see. They can really go!

We also saw an Emu, I loved the feathers!
We saw a Kookaburra (sits in the old gum tree). We didn't hear it laughing here, but did a few days later in the Daintree. Didn't see it then, but heard it.

We also saw dingoes and many beautiful birds.

Next stop was Mt Coot-tha Lookout. The views would have been much better if it was a clear day, but we could see what was there. We also had a good coffee break.

We went back to Sandra's for a get lunch and to get organized before heading to the airport for our flight to Cairns (pronounced "Cans").

No comments: